03 February 2005

Margaret Wente again

Alright.

Did anybody actually read either one of Margaret Wente's columns? I mean actually read and comprehend, inwardly digest and otherwise get what she was saying. It reminds me of an e-mail I got today from a friend who passed on the comments of a Conservative friend of his. This Conservative guy couldn't understand that I found a positive aspect to Margaret Wente's first Danny Williams column.

Well, b'y, I read it. And compared to Charlie Lynch, Margaret Wente should be given a guest spot on Hatching, matching and despatching or be feted by the local "Newfoundland" Club, if there is one anywhere near The Beaches.

All this comes after seeing the Fair Deal posting today and hearing Dave Salter on Out of the Fog. I am not even sure I'll turn on Nite Line for fear of hearing the same thing.

Let me make it easy: to understand Margaret's lastest musings on Newfoundland and the country, read the Globe and Mail editorial (If the provinces shout, Mr. Martin's all ears) on the other page.

And just so that there is no mistake and everybody gets it, here is the message:

The Globe and Mail does NOT support this offshore deal.
Let me go a step beyond that. The Toronto Star doesn't support the deal either.

What bothers them is the idea that Danny Williams got what he was looking for: oil revenues plus Equalization, even if we are richer than Ontario and wouldn't qualify for Equalization. So here we are with everyone in the country thinking danny won, when he didn't. Everyone in Newfoundland and Labrador is over the moon and more and more people across the country are definitely not that happy.

The problem with that is, as far as I am concerned, everyone is in a knot for the wrong reason.
So with that said, CSI is on and I have some Tim's coffee to enjoy.