11 February 2005

Meanwhile in the White House...

Here's a curious story from the Globe today on the recent discovery of an accredited White House reporter who turns out to be some guy working under an assumed name for a Republican activist from Texas. How the guy got accreditation as a bona fide journalist is beyond me. Toby and CJ would never let that happen.

There's a word in the story I have just discovered is my new favourite word in English: pseudo-journalist.

According to the Globe story "[o]ver the past month, there have been disclosures of three separate instances in which government agencies have given lucrative contracts to conservative, pro-Bush commentators to provide consulting services and write positive articles on the administration's pet policies, including education changes."

The sound you hear is me shaking my head in dismay at the depths to which some people in politics will sink.